All articles Crime issues

Canada's fugitive turns up in Oregon prison, now faces extradition as suspected child rapist

Canadian authorities sent out a fugitive alert last year in the hunt for a man suspected of raping a teenage girl in Alberta – apparently unaware that he was already behind bars in a federal prison in Oregon...

Raed Arook's travels in and out of custody – including three illegal entries into the U.S. – is documented in U.S. court papers...

Canadian authorities now want to get the 39-year-old Arook back into custody on their side of the border, and U.S. officials want to comply under a long-standing extradition treaty between the two North American neighbors.

But Arook...

Police chiefs, sheriffs blast ICE over policy they say frees violent illegal immigrants
FOX News

A California toddler fighting for her life Thursday after a brutal beating at the hands of an illegal immigrant with a long criminal record is the latest case to rile California sheriffs and police against a U.S. immigration policy they say is forcing them to release dangerous criminals out on the street.

Francisco Javier Chavez, the live-in boyfriend of the unidentified two-year-old's mother, is out on bail after being charged in the late July attack, which left the San Luis Obispo County girl with two broken arms, a broken femur, a compressed spine, a urinary tract infection and...

Burglar found in vacant home arrested by SWAT team, police say

A 45-year-old man remains held at the Washington County Jail on first degree burglary charges after a standoff with Beaverton police Thursday afternoon.

Authorities received a call just before noon...

Police say Wilfredo Peraza-Domenech was the only person inside the [vacant] home when officers arrived. Peraza-Domenech was taken into custody at 4:23 p.m.

NOTE: Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) Hold.

Portland labor activist Francisco Aguirre-Velasquez wants U.S. immigration charge dismissed

Portland labor activist Juan Francisco Aguirre-Velasquez asked a federal judge Monday to dismiss charges that he illegally re-entered the United States after he was convicted of drug delivery charges and deported in 1999.

Aguirre-Velasquez, who twice escaped the brutal regime of his native El Salvador, claimed in court papers that the immigration judge who handled his 1999 deportation proceedings violated his due process by failing to correctly explain the range of options available to him.

"Only because (Immigration Judge Michael) Bennett incorrectly informed Mr. Aguirre-...

Accused San Francisco Pier Shooter Should Have Been Deported: Immigration Officials
San Francisco released Francisco Sanchez because it is a "sanctuary city."

The man accused of gunning down a 32-year-old Pleasanton woman while she was out strolling San Francisco's Embarcadero with her father was in a Bay Area jail less than four months ago and should have been turned over to federal immigration officials upon his release, instead of being set free, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

But that's not the way the San Francisco County Sheriff's Legal Counsel Freya Horne sees it. In an interview Friday with NBC Bay Area, she said the city and county of San Francisco are sanctuaries for immigrants, and they do not turn over...

Honduran man called 'high-level heroin dealer' gets 5 years in prison

A Honduran man described as high-level heroin dealer was sentenced to five years in prison Monday for conspiracy to distribute heroin.

Alex Ovidio Rodriguez-Elvir could have faced a longer sentence. One of Rodriguez-Elvir's customers, a lower level dealer, sold heroin to an Estacada man, David Bessey, who died from an overdose....could not conclusively be linked to the death.

Clackamas County deputies arrested Rodriguez-Elvir in July 2014 after he agreed to deliver heroin to a police informant. He was carrying about 4 ounces on him when he was arrested, said prosecutor Matt...

Man accused of masturbating in court faces deportation after plea deal

A sex abuse defendant who was accused of masturbating during a pretrial court hearing will face deportation under the plea agreement he signed Wednesday.

Prosecutors said Roberto Hernandez-Fabian sexually touched a 13-year-old girl in a car in 2010. He was 26 at the time...

A Washington County jury that year found him guilty.... He was sentenced to six years and three months in prison.

But the case returned to Circuit Court after the Oregon Court of Appeals found that prosecutors had failed to give adequate notice of their intent to offer hearsay statements at trial...

Man convicted in appealed rape case sentenced to 93 years
Statesman Journal

A Marion County Circuit Court judge sentenced a man to 93 years in prison after the man was convicted, for the second time, of rape and child sex abuse.

Juan de Dios Cruz-Rojas, 43, was initially convicted of rape and sex abuse of two female victims — both known to him — in 2011. The incidents occurred over the course of several years starting in 2006. The case regarding one of the victims was appealed because of a change in the law by the Oregon Supreme Court, said Judge Dennis Graves.

Cruz-Rojas was convicted again last week by a jury on four counts of first-degree rape,...

Canadian who pilfered IDs of Urban Outfitters employees gets prison

A former Urban Outfitters manager is going to federal prison for stealing at least 28 IRS employee identity forms from her former employer, which she sold to other people...

Senior U.S. District Judge Robert E. Jones on Tuesday sentenced Carolyn Gallagher, a Canadian, to 1 year, 1 day in federal prison, meaning she's likely to be out in about 10 months if she stays out of trouble...

Gallagher conspired with four other people – Jheraun Dunlap, Ernest Bagsby, Jermaine Moore and Brandi McCall – to prepare and file false tax returns. Dunlap got the longest prison term: 65 months...

Benton County triple homicide suspect will not face death penalty in November trial
Tri-County Herald

A Umatilla man charged with fatally shooting three people in a Benton County orchard last summer will not face the death penalty.

Prosecutor Andy Miller confirmed for the court Tuesday that his office decided not to seek that sentence in the case of Francisco J. Resendez Miranda.

Resendez Miranda, 24, is charged in Benton County Superior Court with three counts of aggravated first-degree murder. If convicted of even one count of aggravated murder, he is looking at life in prison without the possibility of release.

Prosecutors allege he killed Abigail Torres-Renteria,...